To install the latest OSX version go to the app store, search for osx 10.9 click on the install button. follow the steps to install. The Install took around 1-2hrs was not around when it finished so not exactly sure.
- You have to agree to apple terms and conditions
- it will tell you what apps may not be compatible
- asked to install java. with a message (to install “java,” you need a Java SE 6 runtime. would you like to install it now.) click the install button. installs click ok when done.
- Pop to Updates Ready to install Install. Install/Later. install updates. as usual you need to enter your apple ID
- new popup Turn on Auto Updates, Not Now/Turn On
- popup What’s New in OS X Mavericks Close Show
updates: if you want to see a list of updates click on the app store instead. Updates i had are
- software update for digital camera
Whats New: clicking the popup takes you to this website https://help.apple.com/osx-mavericks/whats-new-from-mountain-lion Whats New From Mountain Lion. it has a detailed slideshow of the new features.
- Ibooks: osx now has ibooks which has been available in iOS Mobile/tablet for a while now
- Maps: information about the new maps feature. also been in iOS for a while.
- calendar: New calendar features added to improve managing your appointments and dates.
- Safari: new enhancements and features to the default osx browser
- tags: tags in finder help you manage your files more efficiently and find the things you want easily.
- Multiple Displays: New enhanced features when connecting a 2nd monitor or projector.
- iCloud Keychain: encrypts and stores your passwords in iCloud, and are automatically entered for you.
- Notifications: enhanced notifications popup if you are away or screen is in sleep when you return so you dont miss a thing
- Finder Tabs: this is a handy feature. no more need to have several finder windows open at the same time.
In the following posts I will be reviewing the default mac applications in Mavericks.