Following on from my previous tutorial How to Keep Your Windows Computer Running at its Best Today I am going to show you how to defrag your windows HardDrive. We will be using windows 7 but similar tools will be found in windows xp, vista, and windows 8. We will be looking at the default Windows Defrag Tool and a good alternitave app called Smart Defrag.
Windows Defrag Tool
1. In the start menu go to All Programs→Accessories→System Tools→Disk Defragmenter. You will be presented with a window that looks like this.
2. Windows monitors your disk at times and will show if it needs defragging
3. Select the disks and partitions you want to defrag
4. next to check if you need to fragment the drive you can press analyse disk button. This will check the disks and show you how fragmented they are.
5. to defrag the disk press Defragment disk button. Depending on how big the disk or partition is will determine how long it takes
6. You can select an automatic schedule
7. click the configure schedule button here you can change the time and day settings.
8. click on select disks to choose what disks and partitions you want to use.
Smart Defrag is a free tool for fast optimisation especially if you have a large Hard drive. It also has more features than the windows defrag tool. You can schedule a boot time scan.
You can download smart defrag from their website Smart Defrag or if you want to you can get the portable version from Portable Smart Defrag and Install it to a flashdrive to run.
1. When run you will see the main window
2. select the disk(s) you want to defrag
3. click the analyse button to see how fragmented the drives are.
4. click the arrow next to the defrag button to select the defrag options
a. Defrag only
b. Defrag and Fast Optimise
c. Defrag and Full Optimise
5. click defrag button to defrag the Drives
6. Click the Automatic Defrag tab to turn on and select the automatic settings. You can select when to defrag the computer and what days.
7. Click the Boot Time Defrag tab to schedule boot time scan options. This is a good idea as it will scan the operating system files of the drive that cant be scanned when running a normal defrag.
8. The report will show the last defrag or analyse done.
9. Action center tab includes recommended security and performance tools to further optimise and protect your computer. You can install them if you like but you don’t have to.