Acer computer fix
The other week I was given an old acer aspire 5335 laptop from church to clean up and possibly look at using for the Data show computer each Sunday for displaying songs, powerpoint etc. Currently we have an older Dell computer running xp which has way less specs than this Acer.
The Acer has windows vista on it. Yes I know I hear some of you groaning oh no not vista, I hate vista. Well Windows Vista may not have ben the best operating system that Microsoft has produced and did have a lot of flack. But it will work for our need.
When booting the laptop it had these 2 things wrong with it.
when first booting it came up with an error with GfxUI.exe “application failed to initialise properly (0xc000007b) click to close application”
What I found out: after a bit of searching around on the internet I found that this error can be caused by graphics drivers or a virus.
Solution: I rolled back the graphics driver and it fixed the issue.
To do this was not to hard.
1. open the start menu
2. type device manager in the start search box
3. click on device manager
4. click on display adaptors
5. double click the adapter in this laptop it was Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family
6. click roll back driver.
Note I may try to find an updated driver for the graphics but it is not essential.
Unable to search some websites
It would not allow me to search google.com or yahoo.com but other websites where ok.
What I found out: searching on the net gave me lots of information it could be an add-on toolbar in the browser. The firewall or antivirus application may have blocked the websites. It might be a virus. A virus or application may have changed some files on the computer blocking the websites.
Solution: this turned out to be a file located C: /Windows / System32 / drivers / etc / networks
the networks file had various google.xx and yahoo.xx sites there that prevented them from being viewed.
1. click the start menu
2. type in notepad
3. right-click notepad and run as administrator
4. in the file menu click open.
5. navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\networks
6. delete all websites under loopback 127
7. in the file menu click save
after the two errors had been fixed here is what I next did.
1. Ran ccleaner first to clean up computer and fix registry errors.
2. Removed all unneeded applications
3. Updated all applications to current versions
4. turned off all unneeded quick start process
5. installed avast free antivirus and did a boot time scan.
6. removed all installed updates and reinstalled all recommended updates and security fixes.
For a full tutorial of the common things I do to windows computers when looking at them click here How to keep your windows computer running at its best.
After things where working ok I had to check out our data show Program easy worship (ew) And I found it fairly easy to transfer the files from the old Dell to the Acer. It involved copying 3 folder from the Dell to the Acer and everything was done.
1. go to: My Computer / C: Drive / Documents and Settings / All Users / Shared Documents / Softouch / EasyWorship
2. then right click on the default folder and copy that to a flashdrive.
1. go to Computer / C: Drive / Users / Public / Public Documents / Softouch / EasyWorship
2. replace teh existing default folder with the one copied from the xp computer.
I also installed OpenLP. This is a free open-source alternative to ew which I use on another Ministry computer I help out at. And it works great. I will compare how this stacks up to ew and will be able to recommend it for use over ew if it has better features etc. OpenLP has the ability to import directly from easy worship and other similar apps.