the other day i was using a computer that had windows on it. I wanted to copy grub4dos onto my usb hard-drive so it could boot.
- I booted into a puppy linux operating system.
- ran the grub4dos install application
- Rebooted and found I had accidentally copied it to the internal windows hard-drive.
Now you would think that it would be easy to find how to restore the Windows operating system master boot record (mbr), and boot partition. I had to google around for a few hours typing “how to restore windows mbr” “how to restore windows boot partition” etc without luck. i tried a few things and nothing. after this I went to the support chat #windows on irc Freenode network. and asked a few people who pointed me to places that did not help. One guy eventually gave me the less than five minute solution. so here it is for you to do if you ever need to reinstall the windows mbr or/and the boot partition. Remember to use the same operating system cd/dvd of the windows version on the computer.
- boot into the recovery cd
- go to repair my computer
- then go to comand prompt
- then type bootrec.exe /fixmbr (this will fix the mbr)
- then type bootrec.exe /fixboot (this will fix the boot partition)
I also believe you can run this from the operating system cd/dvd or if you have it on a usb flashdrive. and repair it from there. As I did not have a cd/dvd of the windows operating system on this computer i could not test this.
I do hope this helps you if you need to find the information.